Monday, June 6, 2011

After divorce how many woman change their names back to the maiden name?

I have been divorced for 8 years but have not changed my name because I have two daughters. However, they are now in the last years of college and engaged so their names will be changing. I have been thinking that it might be nice to drop his name and go back to my maiden name because he has remarried. How many divorced woman do go back to the maiden names?After divorce how many woman change their names back to the maiden name?
My female friends who have children kept their married name after a divorce,only changing their last name if they remarried.My childless friends went back to their maiden name after the divorce.My fiance's ex wife kept his name,and they do not have children,I find this kinda odd because she and I will have his name.I commend you for wanting to go back to your maiden name since your ex has remarried however,I guess it just depends on the person .After divorce how many woman change their names back to the maiden name?
I changed my name back.

I didn't have any children, but can understand why you kept his name (because of your girls).

Since their names are changing, I think you should change yours, too! :-)
How many? You mean what percentage? You mean on the planet, or in the US, or in your specific area, or what? There's no way anyone here will know that percentage offhand, and it's really unlikely that research on the subject has been conducted in a way that would be easily searchable, so I'm unsure how you think we can respond here. How about; ';Some';.
Thousands do



Next question
I would say about 50% end up changing back. Most of the ones that keep it do for the purpose of having the same last name as their children.
Seems most women with kids leave their names same as the kids. Others usually change back.
I think you should do whatever makes you happy.
I changed mine back on the divorce papers. Cause I figured my son's last name would never change and mine would eventually change whenever I were to get married to someone else. Besides I didn't want that cheaters last name!!!!
I only know of one.
I think it depends on the circumstances.



If the marriage was short, no kids, etc then to do so is fine.



In some cases, people are married for decades, kids, family, etc. To change their name back is not only pointless, it's spiteful and intended as a final ';screw you'; to the man they are divorcing. However, it has bad effects on their children.
I only know two who did not have children they both kept their married name just to not go through the hassle of changing it back ha ha.



Honestly do what you want. By now I would if I were you go ahead and change my name back.
Most. Most dissolution orders will state that the spouse may revert back to their previous name. Even if yours doesn't you still can. Just take a copy with you when you complete the process. You need to change your social first before you can do the rest.
I kept the name for my kids when they were young..I was going to change it but they cried and thought I wouldn't be the the same as them..when they got old enough to understand I changed to my maiden name after a visit to my dad's grave..I realized I didn't want to be buried with his name..I wanted my family name on my stone.Not his.



now I have remarried and I was reluctant to take my husbands name for the same reason..I Still want to be buried near my family with my own name.
I know I did,because I don't want to be known as Mrs ? ever again.Its whatever makes you feel good.
Your plan sounds like a good one. Since you had kids, that was a nice thing to do for your daughters.



Now that they are grown, go for it and change your name back!



P.S. I would have done it the second the youngest WENT to college!
I changed mine back. What's the point of using somebody's name you are not married or related to.
I'm separated but already started using my maiden name.
Most divorced women I know changed their name back. I never changed my name when I got married, so I didn't have to ';change it back'; after I got divorced.
I'm not divorce but I didn't know that you could add the married last name and then your maiden name until I went to the SSI office my maiden name is Tyler...So I got my name as Shari Stevens-Tyler so if I did get a divorce (hope not) than I wouldn't change mine because my maiden name is still at the end
Three of my sisters did, the other one is still married. My sister in law changed it back after each time she was married and divorced. (three times, twice in court, once when he was killed by the police after trying to murder her) No joke.

It's a matter of personal choice though. My stepma kept her married name for years before she changed it back to her maiden name (compound-hyphenated) and then took my dad's name when they got married.

No comments:

Post a Comment