Monday, June 6, 2011

Can I change name of my Step children? They asked me if they can change it?

my step children keep on asking me if they can change their last name to match my last name. My wife and I've been talking about it for years after they started asking me. The older ones want to do it before they get into High School. Their Biological Father has not been in the picture for over 7 years. How do I change their names?Can I change name of my Step children? They asked me if they can change it?
Check your state's official website, and you can find out there!

First just be sure that you're willing to commit to being their father, even if one day you and your wife divorce...even if you divorce after they are adults. If you know without a doubt you'd be happy to be their father for life, then I say go for it! Check your state's official website for info. You may have to obtain documentation from the father...or not.



My dad adopted my step-mom's son when he was about 10. His dad was never around and my dad had been around since he was 4. I don't even think of him as my step-anything. He's just my little brother, and dad is our dad. The worst kept secret is that my little brother is my dad's favorite child, lol.Can I change name of my Step children? They asked me if they can change it?
You might look into adopting them, if it's legal.
Adopting is a good way to change the surnames of the kids. Getting married is another way too. Find out thru social services, the library and the Law centre. Good luck.
You cannot do it unless the father gives up his legal rights to them. See an attorney.
You will need to adopt them if you want to have their surname changed and of course you will need to get permission from the father before you can adopt them. If he isn't paying child support it shouldn't be too hard to get his permission. He will probably rather give permission than pay back child support.
Since the biologic father is nowhere in their life you can petition to adopt them.Once you adopt them they are your kids and can take your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment