Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Changing Names on Social Security Cards?

This is a two part Question. Please don't answer this unless you really know the answer. Thank you.



First Part:

I got married 15 years ago to my second husband. I never changed my SS card name to include my new last name. How do I go about doing this, and is it a bad thing that I haven't done it?

Second Part:

In years past (after my second marriage) our joint tax return was always filed by our tax lady showing my last name as hypenated putting my first married name, then my last married name. Is all this going to mess me up as far as getting my new SS card with my second married name, OR when it's time to collect social security?Changing Names on Social Security Cards?
Marriages, adoptions, yaddah. Don't worry as you have done nothing wrong. It is simple to take care of; just gather up a birth certificate and your marriage license and call social security in your area to set up an appointment and go in and conform your name to your number. In the past it has taken about six weeks for the name and number configuration to be transmorgificated to IRS; so when you file your income tax return take that into consideration. In point of fact you might be well advised to wait until you file your 06 return and then do the change of name. When you file your 06 return make sure that your name appears on the return just as it appears on your current social security card as the IRS cross references the names and numbers.Changing Names on Social Security Cards?
You must go to the social security office and bring your marriage certificate in order for you to change your name on it.

Taxes are not a problem.
I had the same problem after getting married for the first time. When I started a new job I had to get paid under my old name because my SS number did not match the new name (even tho I used my new name).



You will have to apply for a new card under your married name. I agree with your tax accountant, in how your tax return was prepared. My suggestion would be to get the new card under the hyphenated name first; and then drop the old name with another application in apx 6mos to one year. I don't believe that you will have any problems with your benefits going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment