Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How much time do you have to change name when married?

havent decided if im going to change it, so wondering how much time i got until it's gonna cost money to change it. assuming it's free to change it now...or is it?How much time do you have to change name when married?
Free, and you can do it now, or anytime thereafter.



I changed mine a few years after the fact. It's a relatively minor hassle. I just took my marriage certificate with me when I renewed my drivers license and told them to change my last name, and make my maiden my middle name. Then you just go to a local social security office, fill out a form, provide copy of marriage certificate and they send you a new card. Voila. Tres simple!!How much time do you have to change name when married?
Yes, it's free when you get married, and costs money if you wait. I think as soon as the marriage papers are final, that's the deadline. If you wait even until the next day, then it's a separate lawsuit, and requires a filing fee.
I live in Kansas and I didn't change my last name until well over a year after getting married, and it was free.
I don't think its a time limit, some movie stars hold on to there real or last names forever and never change it, but that paper will let you know that you are married , if it becomes a problem just change it ..
I didn't get around to changing my social security card for years...it didn't cost anything and you just go to the social security office with the proper information required like your marriage license and old social security card.
I changed mine after 2 years of my husband getting upset with me...lol. It costs nothing. Just go to social security with your marriage license and your driver's license. Then go to the DMV with your social security card, marriage license, and driver's license.
I was in the process of moving right after I got married so I didn't change my name for the first month and when I finally got time it was still free. I don't know it there is a time limit or how it differs from place to place. But that's what I did in IL. You may want to got to your local Social Security Office and ask some one there.



Sorry I can't help more.
You are registered as married and you also have id to prove who you are since before you were married. So you can change it when ever you start signing your name as Mrs. (husband's last name).
Yes its free to change it and there is no set time limit on getting it changed. I know people who have been married for years and they just got their name changed.
Immediately the pastor said I now pronounce you man and wife,you may kiss the bride.
Even if you go to the SS office, DMV, and bank to change your name on the various forms, you can still use your maiden name.



I'm involved in a lawsuit regarding property I bought pre-marriage. Since I was planning on selling the property shortly after marriage, I did not bother to change the name on the title. And then we wound up suing the adjacent landowners. On all of the court documents, I am listed by my maiden name even though that is the only place I use that name.

No comments:

Post a Comment