Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How to change name due to marriage?

what do i need to do to change my name legaly in florida due to marriage?How to change name due to marriage?
take your marriage certificate to the place you get your new social security card and they will take care of that much. Then just have it changed on your drivers license.How to change name due to marriage?
Go to the courthouse and ask them.
Just start using it.
Once you have the marriage license, it is up to you, to get your name changed...Starting with your driver's license...Thats what I did first...just make sure you take the MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE with you, so that way you wont be wasting your time.
You have to call each institution %26amp; provide them with a copy of your marriage certificate. You need to get a new SS card, driver's license, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. Or you can get a name change package online where they do most of the work for you. Check out legalzoom. They prepared my husband's will %26amp; some trust paperwork. I would trust them.



www.legalzoom.com
You have to do it at the social security office. All you need is a marriage license as proof of your new name and proof of your old name (birth certificate, driver's license, etc.)

You can change your name pretty much any way you would like. For example, I made my maiden name my middle name and, of course, my married name is now my last name.

Going to the SS office is kind of a pain, but it only takes 5 minutes. Then they send you a new SS card, which takes about a week (they tell you 2-4, but I have had to change my name twice and it never took that long)

The social security website can tell you exactly what documents you need to bring.

I disagree with the advice to just start using the name. You can do that, but until it is changed legally, you will have problems with trying to do things like appyling for credit cards, buying a car, etc. because your name and social will not match.

No comments:

Post a Comment