Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How can I change my childrens last names?

At birth I gave both of my children their fathers last name. Both of them were born out of wedlock eventhough I was married to their father for a short time. Since then he has spent most of their lives behind bars. My kids (ages 8 %26amp; 10) agree that they would like their last names changed so they are the same as mine. Any information on how to do this in the state of Pennsylvania would be greatly appriciated! Thanks you.How can I change my childrens last names?
It is possible to change a child檚 name through petitioning the court for a name change by filing certain paperwork. How this works will vary from state to state, and while in the simplest cases you may be able to fill out the forms yourself, you will likely need to consult a lawyer or a legal aid society. You will also need to demonstrate that you have notified (or, if he is long gone, attempted to notify) the child檚 natural father of your desire to change the child檚 name. In some states, the natural father檚 consent is required; in others, it is not. The court will weigh whether or not the name change is in the child檚 best interests and will accept or deny the petition accordingly.



The factors that the court will consider in deciding whether or not to grant such a petition vary from state to state, but generally involve considering the impact such a change will have on the child and what the other parent檚 relationship with the child is like. Based on your story, I can't imagine that a judge would deny your request. I think the chances for your petition being granted are excellent.



Be aware that changing the last name of a minor child does not change the identity or obligations of the child檚 father. Changing a child檚 last name to match a stepfather檚, for example, does not absolve the natural father from paying child support, nor will it obligate the stepfather to pay child support should his marriage to the mother end in divorce. Be aware as well that if your child is an adolescent, the courts will likely require the child檚 written consent to any proposed name change.



Here's is a weblink with a little more specific information for Pennsylvania. You can also look at the sample forms and see if they are something you want to do yourself or have a legal preparer do it for you...

http://lawdigest.uslegalforms.com/name-c



Good luck.How can I change my childrens last names?
You can go to court and have their names legally changed but it will cost money.
MUST GO TO THE GOVERNMENT
You have to hire a lawyer and probably get his signature(the biological's) on the papers.
Contact a lawyer. They can help you with more information.
You will have to go to court most likely your family court to petition that it be done. However since they have his last name and he is the legal father and you did marry him regardless of when you might have a sticking point with him. Now my suggestion is that you go to a family court lawyer and discuss with him/her the situation and have them file the proper paperwork with the court so that the ex doesn't wind up in the middle of this. After all he's got nothing but time on his hands right now to make you or your kids miserable.



Best of luck.
Because they are under 18 they need signature from their father. This is the law in Hawaii at least. You should get the documents to fill out for the name-change and see what your states requirements are.
Contact a lawyer or someone at legal aid. Nobody else can give you the right answers, just guesses.
This is easy. Get a lawyer and he will walk you through all the the legal stuff. When he explains everything to you and all of the legal stuff is worked out, you will go to court, and a judge will ask you about your reasoning. It's simple, you'll be infront of the judge for less than ten minutes. He'll consider your reasoning and approve the change or disapprove it. This is a fairly easy thing to do. Beforehand you will have to contact your state and change your children's legal documents, that is something that your lawyer will explain to you and he will be in charge of taking care of that. I am getting my last name changed in the fall and I will be going through these exact procedures, I hope this helped. :)
File for name changes in court. Be aware that if the father's got any child custody rights, it will not happen. More over, you should find a man to be their father, and let them take his name, as you would.
If the father was named on the birth certificate then you are going to need his signature to change their last name. If he is still behind bars you can contact the prison and they should be able to tell you how you can get him to sign something with out have to wait for the mail and more then likely what ever he signs will have to be notarize.



I believe that you just need to call the county where the children were born and they should send you a form to fill out.
Heres what happened with me. I live in west virginia. My mom wasnt married to my dad at the time of my birth and my 2 brothers. We all had my moms last name and wanted my dads. They couldnt cause they said my dad would have to legally adopt us cause his name wasnt as the father, so they went through with it and I got a new bc but the social security office said we had to wait till we were 18 to get our names changed and one by one when we turned 18 we cahnged it. So we are 100% my daddys last name. Im not married to my daughters father but he put his name as her father and i gave her his last name and Im glad so she wouldnt have to go through what I did.
I think you have to go to court.
My daughter has her fathers last name and one way I could change it to mine would be to add my last name on her birth certificate and then she would have both but use mine and it only costs the amount of a new birth certificate
if you were married to their father at the time of their births you have got to have his permission to change their names. if you were not married at the time of their birth you dont need permission you can have it done by deed poll if you are receiving benefits you will get legal aid.

if you married their dad after they were born its the same as being married at birth.

the only otherway is to prove him unfit as a father and convince the courts that it would be in the childrens best interest to no longer carry his surname
You can go to court for a name change. The same thing happend to my friend, she got her kids names changed :)
You have to go to court.

No comments:

Post a Comment