Monday, November 22, 2010

Recently bought a business ..Can anyone tell me what taxes, licenses, I need to get and how to change name?

My husband bought a business and I want to make sure everything is done right.. I really dont know much about it. I need to know the correct way to change the name of the store what license I need to legally operate , and how do i go about the taxes .

Any info or web site will help Im lost! THANKS!!!!Recently bought a business ..Can anyone tell me what taxes, licenses, I need to get and how to change name?
There is a website that our lawyer told us about. You can purchase books on any topic for operating a business. It is www.nolo.com. Go to your city offices and go to the licensing bureau. Our city charges per estimated amount of earnings in a year. By all means hire an accountant. He can tell you about state and federal taxes. He also can tell you how to properly file for a tax id numbe. I do all the work during the year, such as filing the quarterly wage reports and the monthly payroll tax deposits. He just does the annual tax reporting. I use Quickbooks Pro computer program, it handles anything from invoicing to tax statements and paying payroll. Do need to pay an annual fee for payroll service, but it keeps you updated on all tax changes and monitors taxes very well. To change a name, you need to file a fictious business name statement with the local paper. It is then printed in the newspaper, to basically see if anyone else has a business name that is similar and they might not want you to run a business with the name you have chosen. We joined our local chamber of commerce, they offer resources that can help with any questions or needs that you have. Plus they supply us with federal required employee posters. Also contact your local insurance agent to get general liability insuranceRecently bought a business ..Can anyone tell me what taxes, licenses, I need to get and how to change name?
If you have a local Small Business Administration office they can help quite a bit. Also, go to your City Business Licensing office and inquire specifically about your type of business. There are so many different regs out there for specific business types and different cities.



I believe when I changed the name of our business I had to do that with the Secretary of the State. (wow - its been a long time, so don't hold me to it.) They will do a search to make sure it isn't already taken.



Hire a CPA for the taxes. Best thing we ever did. Also, a CPA will have a pretty good idea about what you will need and should be able to offer you good info in getting set up.



You will have to post the federal and state tax posters. They can be printed online on regular paper. You will get mail from companies stating you are in violation of the federal poster law. Ignore them. They are only trying to sell you posters!



As a small business owner I would also highly recommend having a payroll service handle your payroll. This way they can file all your taxes and they make sure you are compliant. I wouldn't have it any other way.



If you have employees and need a lot of help in the human resource part of your business I recently tripped up on a site www.prospera.com. They do have an annual fee - but have provided me with a wealth of information - you can also view the site as a guest for 1 month free I think. It has been great for us.



Good luck to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment